Born 19 Feb. 1875, High Street, Mortlake, Surrey, UK
Served in Royal Marines Light Infantry from 19 March 1890 to 11 Oct. 1895.
Married Edith Maud Frith (1875-1958) on 03 Dec. 1893 at Hampstead, Middlesex, UK
Moved to Queensferry, Scotland after his discharge in 1895, where he practiced his trade of bootmaker.
Joined Royal Scots Guard in Jan 1901. Served as a Sergeant during the Boer War in South Africa 1901-1902, discharged 24 Apr 1902.
At the 1901 census his wife and five children were living in Dalmeny, South Queensferry, Scotland.
Returned to London in June 1902 with his family, where he joined the London Metropolitan Police. Resided at 120 High Street, Mortlake.
He also served in the Royal Marine reserve to support his growing family.
At the outbreak of WW1 on 23 Aug. 1914 he was recalled to active service with the Royal Marine Light Infantry. Served in the action at Heligoland.
He was killed in action at Antwerp, Belgium on 11 Oct. 1914 aged 39 years. He was buried at Schoonselhof Cemetery, Antwerpen, Belgium.
He is honored in the Metropolitan Police Book of the fallen of WW1 in Westminster Abbey, London; on the memorial to the fallen of Wood Green at Wood Green, London; and in Margravine Cemetery, Hammersmith, London.
- Violet Edith May Stride, born 06 Dec 1895 at Gillingham, Kent
Married Charles James Nowell (1886-1919) on 22 Dec 1917 at Shepton-Mallet, Somerset
Married (2) Herbert Ward Bartram (1879-1968) on 05 May 1924 at Edmonton, London
Died 25 Apr 1984, Melton-Mowbray
- Millicent E. Bartram (1914-1987)
- Herbert J. Bartram (1915-?)
- Ethel Bartram (1916-2000)
- Eileen V. Bartram (1924-1987)
Married Kenneth Etherden (1920-2001) on 20 May 1945 at Melton-Mowbray
- Dorothy M. Bartram (1934-)
Married Reginald Coar (1931-) on 12 Nov 1955
- Millie and Ethel Bartram were daughters of Herbert from his previous
marriage. Dorothy Stride always referred to them as her nieces even
though they weren't blood relations.
- Walter Garnet James Thomas Stride born 25 Dec 1896 at Gillingham, Kent
Married Louise Maud Searle on 14 Feb 1920 at East Horndon, Essex
Died circa 1940
- Victoria Eveline Maud Stride born 24 May 1898 at Edinburgh, Scotland
- Alfred George Albert Stride, born 05 Nov 1899 at Queensferry, Scotland
Emigrated to Canada in 1916, settled in Macklin SK, where he enlisted in Canadian army.
Moved to British Columbia after World War I.
Married Maude Margaret Black on 31 Dec 1925 at Vancouver, BC
Died 13 Jan 1977, Surrey, British Columbia
- Ivy Gladys Stride, born 09 Nov 1900 at Queensferry, Scotland
Married John Thomas Seeley (1899-?) on 21 Feb 1920 at London
- Herbert Sidney Stride born 19 Dec 1903 at Islington, London
Married Amy Minnie Alice Nicholson (1903-?) on 26 Sep 1925 at Bounds Green
Died 15 June 1982, Pensilva, Cornwall
- Dorothy Ethel Stride, born 20 Dec 1905 at Islington, London
Married Frederick William Seddon (1899-1962) on 18 Jul 1924 at Toronto, Ontario
Died 08 Aug 2000, Cornwall, Ontario
- Grace Edna Pearl Stride, born 11 Feb 1909 at Islington, London
Married Robert D. Ashby (1904-?) on 29 Nov 1926 at Prittlewell, Essex
Died 04 Apr 1955, Willesden, Middlesex
- Irene Millicent Effield Stride, born 10 June 1912, Southgate, London
Married William George Gaunt (1910-?) on 06 Apr 1940 at West Bridgeford, Nottingham
Died 09 Feb 1957, West Bridgford, Nottingham