Born 1792, Hambridge, Somerset UK
The Sansoms were a large farming family. Rapid population growth at the time meant that smaller farms could no longer sustain large families.
This might have prompted William to emigrate in search of his own land.
Married Mary Nichols (1800-1846) about 1821 at Pembroke, South Wales
On 09 April 1822, William and Mary with their newborn son James set sail to Canada on board the "Active".
They arrived at Saint John NB on 01 June, and made their way to the Welsh community of Cardigan, New Brunswick.
William died 14 Mar 1878 at Cardigan.
He and his wife, and their son William D. are buried in the Baptist Chapel cemetery in Cardigan.
- James Sansom (1822-1889) Wales
Married Jane Edgar (1826-1877) about 1842 at Stanley.
- John Sansom (1824-1892) Cardigan NB
Married Mary Evans (1828-1910) on 11 Sep 1851 at Fredericton
- Thomas Sansom (1826-1902) Cardigan
Married Mary Ann Service (1826-1902) at Douglas.
- Mary Ann Sansom (1831-?) Cardigan
Married William C. Richards (1835-?)
- William Richards Jr (1858-?) Cardigan
- David M. Richards (1860-1918) Cardigan
- Elisa Richards (1862-1954) Cardigan
- Martha Richards (1864-1943) Cardigan
- Mary Richards (1866-?) Cardigan
- John Richards (1868-?) Cardigan
- Charles Sansom (c1832-1890) Cardigan
Married Jane Evans (1842-1911) about 1862 at Cardigan
- Elizabeth Jane Sansom (1834-1912) Cardigan
Married David Lewis Evans (1832-1917) about 1858 at Cardigan
- James Lewis Evans (1860-1912) Cardigan
- William S. Evans (1861-1926) Cardigan
- Thomas Franklin Evans (1863-1931) Cardigan
- William D. Sansom (1836-1896) Cardigan
Married Mary A. Richards (1844-?) about 1861 at Cardigan
- Hannah Sansom (1839-?) Cardigan
Married David Richards (1842-?) about 1863 at Douglas
- Edwin Sansom (1844-1919) Cardigan
Married Minerva Fern Abernethy (1854-1936) about 1870 at Stanley